Published March 13th, 2020 at 6:00 AM
It’s been a crazy week in the bracket world, as we all know. Coronavirus has overtaken seemingly all aspects of our lives – bracketwise and otherwise.
Conference basketball tournaments have been cancelled, here and across the country. March Madness is in limbo. But here at Flatland, our inaugural Hops Hysteria beer bracket goes on.
What better way to spend a weekend of prudent social distancing than consuming local brews in search of the region’s favorite? Consider it a tiny stimulus plan for some of our favorite local businesses.
Hops Hysteria’s round one voting started Tuesday and ended Thursday at noon. Here are some first-round results.
We started with 31 breweries with entries in the 64-beer bracket, but now we’re down to 11 breweries represented in the Thirsty 32. Many of the first-round matches were extremely close. There were three upsets. The most notable Cinderella story was 10-seeded RAD AF by City Barrel Brewing Co. upsetting 7-seeded Prime Extra Pale Ale by Cinder Block Brewery.
Thanks to everyone who voted in round one. Now it’s time to whittle our Thirsty 32 down to the Sweet 16. Please go to the Hops Hysteria 2020 site to vote on the following matches by midnight Sunday, March 15. And feel free to share Hops Hysteria with your friends. Everyone’s vote will be counted.
Let’s try to find some fun in the age of coronavirus. After all, it’s not the beer’s fault!
1. Tank 7 by Boulevard Brewing Co. vs. 9. Shiftie IPA by Border Brewing Co.
5. Tea Weiss by Crane Brewing Co. vs. 4. Hefeweizen by KC Bier Co.
6. Helles by KC Bier Co. vs. 3. Yakimaniac IPA by Free State Brewing Co.
7. Weathered Wit by Cinder Block Brewery vs. 2. 80-Acre by Boulevard Brewing Co.
1. Unfiltered Wheat by Boulevard Brewing Co. vs. 9. Counterculture IPA by BKS Artisan Ales
5. Abbey Ale by Martin City Brewing Co. vs. 4. Alpha Pale by Torn Label Brewing Co.
6. Orange Gose by Crane Brewing Co. vs. 3. Oatmeal Stout by Free State Brewing Co.
7. Northtown Native by Cinder Block Brewery vs. 2. Dunkel by KC Bier Co.
1. The Calling by Boulevard Brewing Co. vs. 8. Pils by KC Bier Co.
5. House Brew by Torn Label Brewing Co. vs. 4. Monk & Honey by Torn Label Brewing Co.
6. Belgian Blond by Martin City Brewing Co. vs. 3. Hard Way IPA by Martin City Brewing Co.
7. Paver’s Porter by Cinder Block Brewery vs. 2. Ad Astra Ale by Free State Brewing Co.
1. Single-Wide I.P.A. by Boulevard Brewing Co. vs. 8. Tessellation Wheat IPA by Double Shift Brewing Co.
5. Farmhouse IPA by Crane Brewing Co. vs. 4. Block IPA by Cinder Block Brewery
6. Apricot Weiss by Crane Brewing Co. vs. 3. Stormchaser IPA by Free State Brewing Co.
10. RAD AF by City Barrel Brewing Co. vs. 2. Copperhead Pale Ale by Free State Brewing Co.